CONNECT

Beacon Citizen Network (BCN): a place for neighbors to get the word out, be heard and stay informed in all matters concerning Beacon, NY.

SPONSORS

Photobucket

Is anyone interested in doing an Earth Day river cleanup down at the park near the train station (with the playground)? I was there this weekend, and saw a whole lot of stuff had washed up on shore. It'd be so wonderful to get a group of 10-30 folks down there some weekend in April (24th?) to pick up  trash and make a big difference. With enough support, we could even tackle Long Dock Park!

Views: 29

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like a good idea. We didn't have many participants in last few clean-ups last year. Hope we have lot more support this year.
I'm available, but not the 24th. I already have a clean up Route 55 in Lagrange committment for that morning and be a listener at a science fair in the afternoon. the next day works for me. The 17th or 18th work also
Hiro & Bill - thanks for your replies! If we did do a cleanup on Sunday 4/25, how would it be organized? We'll need bags, a place to bring the bags, and gloves for people who want to help. What's a good size for a cleanup group that you've seen in the past?

Alternatively/in addition: Scenic Hudson is doing some earth day service on Mt. Beacon: http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2156/t/10452/p/salsa/event/com...
Sarah,

I just joined the Beacon Sloop Club, and I think they are organizing a clean-up at 11:00am on April 25th. Check out their newsletter (the info is tucked away on the top, right-hand column on page three):

http://www.beaconsloopclub.org/bsc%20broadside%200310.pdf

Maybe you could join efforts?

- Ben
The 25th works for me. It's easier for us to go with Bill's schedule. Bill let us use his buckets and sticks, and they are very helpful.
Thanks for the info about the sloop club, Ben. We started the clean-up around 9:00am last season. But maybe we should coordinate with the sloop club this time?
Sarah, I joined this group middle of last year. I heard that the first clean-up was big one. But the ones I participated were small groups like 5 or 6 people. Bill and Rich were always there and they brought all the equipments like bags, buckets, sticks and gloves. I usually bring my own gloves, but people can just show up once the date and time is set up.
I hope Rich sees this posts soon.
Thanks Hiro & Ben - I think that the Sloop Club's cleanup would be wonderful to join. I pored over the newsletter, but am not sure who to contact to make arrangements & get a few more details. Ben, can you suggest a contact or just reach out to them and make sure it's ok we join the fun?
I have yet to participate in an official cleanup in town, but have done some stuff on my own during weekends. Looking forward to meeting you all - cheers!
Sarah, I think the coordinator for the Sloop Club's Earth Day is someone named Chris Ruhe. I'm trying to track down some contact info. I'm afraid I can't be there on the 25th... I'm booked on Sunday mornings. But, I'm glad help out any other way I can.

Sarah Womer said:
Thanks Hiro & Ben - I think that the Sloop Club's cleanup would be wonderful to join. I pored over the newsletter, but am not sure who to contact to make arrangements & get a few more details. Ben, can you suggest a contact or just reach out to them and make sure it's ok we join the fun?
I have yet to participate in an official cleanup in town, but have done some stuff on my own during weekends. Looking forward to meeting you all - cheers!
Thanks Ben - I know Chris, and will give him a call tomorrow. Something came up for me as well, but I'm happy to check it out for our group!
Just joined this group. A clean-up in April sounds perfect, but not sure the 25th will work. Early am would be best and once a date is set I would be glad to confirm and spread the word. Let me know if there is another way I can help.
Saturday Apr. 24 is the day of the Beacon Barks dog parade, which drew a lot of people last year...I don't know if that affects things.
Rich, Thanks for your e-mail sent out to the group on the 3/23. I'm just restating same thing here on this discussion, because an e-mails gets buried in an in-box easily. And this way, people who are not in this group may see it too.
Next clean up date is 4/25 and location is the riverfront and some of the approaches (Bank Street, West Main Street, etc.)
We don't have a meeting location and time yet right?
Just read about an Earth Day cleanup at Mount Beacon Park on April 22nd from 10-1 the # to call for more info is 845-473-4440 ext. 273. I am unable to attend due to work, but thought I would pass the info along.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Kelly Kingman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service