CONNECT

Beacon Citizen Network (BCN): a place for neighbors to get the word out, be heard and stay informed in all matters concerning Beacon, NY.

SPONSORS

Photobucket

Your Top 10 eating/drinking places in the area

My wife and I were trying to make this list last night as a top 5 but them decided there was room for a few more. We limited ourselves 1.) to reasonable price (I suppose this is relative but we said under 15-20 fora dinner entree, knowing that that was the top end for us and something we'd try to avoid too often.) & 2.) 30 mile radius (this counted out one of our favorite places so we added back on the list.)

In doing this we thought, there's got to be more. So I ask you, what are your top 10 spots to drink, eat, and hang out while not getting robbed by the establishment and not traveling really far?

It would help if you added a sentence as to why the place is on your list.

Thanks

Our list is this---in no particular order

1. Toro- Fishkill strip mall plaza on 52- good sushi, great Korean searing rice bowls-$12 each + beer
2. The Indian Place in the same strip mall- great tasting food, nice people-$15-$20 each
3. The Beacon Diner- always good for a large salad and some fries or soup or sand. Also a fun place to drink Budweisers ($2.75 I think)- $6-$12 each
4. Homespun Foods- good lunch place to take guests- $10 each
5. Steak & Stein- Newburgh- The Banta Burger Basket is the best burger around, almost as good as Corner Bistro and comes with fries and a basic but refreshing salad bar for $9 + a very large beer for $5
6. Big W's ( this is far away and I forget where it is but it is the best smoked chix, brisket, pork etc.. I've had north of the South, so it stays on the list.) It's real BBQ, which is rare up here, don't know why that is, It's not like it's difficult to do.- $12-$15 each
7. The Depot-Cold Spring. BEER, too bad you have to drive back so imbibing is not an option unless you find a teetotaler to drive. I know some will say there plenty of good places to have beers/drinks right here in Beacon, well...I disagree. the beer there is good and cold, the people are nice and funny.
8. Le Bouchon- also Cold Spring- Mussels. $13 + Beer. not the friendliest bunch but the fries are good too. other stuff on the menu is also good but I'm thrifty.
9. ZuZu's. Main street Beacon. Good coffee and tea. especially the after 3pm 1/2 price cup.
10. haven't found it or have forgotten

tell me what's good

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Charlie St. Helens said:
No particular order and sticking to affordable (there are some great places in the area that are REALLY good but which I can only afford once in a blue moon) - starting with Beacon and moving east to west:

Let me start by saying I wish I could have added Marlena's kitchen, but alas they recently suffered the fate of way too many local places. I wonder what's wrong with that location as Augies' was pretty good as well. Hard to tell who can and can not make it.

1. Zuzu's- coffee, tea pastries (supposedly they just hired a baker with gluten free experience so my little sis will finally be happy).
2. Beacon Bagels - very good bagels within walking distance! THANKS FOR COMING TO BEACON! Even if your marketing annoys people (just kidding).
3. Burger Place on the west end - can't remember their name but very good vegetarian burger and awesome regular burger even if its way too pricey. And the counter help is beautifuuuul! Ooops, does that violate the site's pc rules?
4. Homespun - when I have a lot of time on my hands and can wait 20 minutes for a salad they are awesome.
5. Toro - their korean is as good as on 32nd st in the city.
6. Indian Place - a little on the pricey side but very good.
7. I84 Diner - their omelletes are way better than the Yankee Clipper.
8. Cafe Maya - good drinks and decent mexican
9. Chinese place in strip mall where Toro and Indian place is - best chinese takeout within easy driving distance (though this is not saying much).
10. The Depot - yup, especially on sundays.
11. Le Bouchon - yup
12. Joe's Irish - when I want to get ripped, enjoy the local color and be able to stumble home (if I don't piss someone off and get the **** beaten out of me which seems to happen way too frequently...).

OK, more than 10. Where is Big W's? Never tried it. Should give it a shot.
Katie Mouse said:
Charlie St. Helens said:
No particular order and sticking to affordable (there are some great places in the area that are REALLY good but which I can only afford once in a blue moon) - starting with Beacon and moving east to west:

Let me start by saying I wish I could have added Marlena's kitchen, but alas they recently suffered the fate of way too many local places. I wonder what's wrong with that location as Augies' was pretty good as well. Hard to tell who can and can not make it.

1. Zuzu's- coffee, tea pastries (supposedly they just hired a baker with gluten free experience so my little sis will finally be happy).
2. Beacon Bagels - very good bagels within walking distance! THANKS FOR COMING TO BEACON! Even if your marketing annoys people (just kidding).
3. Burger Place on the west end - can't remember their name but very good vegetarian burger and awesome regular burger even if its way too pricey. And the counter help is beautifuuuul! Ooops, does that violate the site's pc rules?
4. Homespun - when I have a lot of time on my hands and can wait 20 minutes for a salad they are awesome.
9. Chinese place in strip mall where Toro and Indian place is - best chinese takeout within easy driving distance (though this is not saying much).
11. Le Bouchon - yup
12. Joe's Irish - when I want to get ripped, enjoy the local color and be able to stumble home (if I don't piss someone off and get the **** beaten out of me which seems to happen way too frequently...).

The best place to get a good meal is the Yankee Clipper Diner by far. They make way better omelettes then the 84 Diner. Everything I have every eaten their has been delicious. The owners and staff are equally as nice. It is a very kid friendly restaurant. My children always say lets go to the big red diner. They have our vote!

Katie Mouse said:
Katie Mouse said:
Charlie St. Helens said:

11. Le Bouchon - yup

I agree the Yankee Clipper Diner makes a much better breakfast then the 84 Diner.

David Clark said:
Yankee Clipper yes. have to try I84 omelets, thanks

http://www.bigwsbbq.com/ rules the North.

Poppy's burgers are good but so small and takes so long. i suspect they fire up the grill when they get an order, maybe it's better on weekends

I'd like to try the chinese place, I'll give that stuff one more shot.

and damn, Tavern at Highland Country Club? thanks Pal.
We went to the Barking Dog a little while back and I ordered the Chili. I was so shocked that is was great and freshly homemade. It seemed more like the chili for the dogs then chili for a bowl but still delicious. Gates Fish N Fries was a good fried fish treat alhough not everyday food...lol

Has anyone been to Virgos sip n soul? I hear it is good southern cooking.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Kelly Kingman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service