CONNECT

Beacon Citizen Network (BCN): a place for neighbors to get the word out, be heard and stay informed in all matters concerning Beacon, NY.

SPONSORS

Photobucket

Your Top 10 eating/drinking places in the area

My wife and I were trying to make this list last night as a top 5 but them decided there was room for a few more. We limited ourselves 1.) to reasonable price (I suppose this is relative but we said under 15-20 fora dinner entree, knowing that that was the top end for us and something we'd try to avoid too often.) & 2.) 30 mile radius (this counted out one of our favorite places so we added back on the list.)

In doing this we thought, there's got to be more. So I ask you, what are your top 10 spots to drink, eat, and hang out while not getting robbed by the establishment and not traveling really far?

It would help if you added a sentence as to why the place is on your list.

Thanks

Our list is this---in no particular order

1. Toro- Fishkill strip mall plaza on 52- good sushi, great Korean searing rice bowls-$12 each + beer
2. The Indian Place in the same strip mall- great tasting food, nice people-$15-$20 each
3. The Beacon Diner- always good for a large salad and some fries or soup or sand. Also a fun place to drink Budweisers ($2.75 I think)- $6-$12 each
4. Homespun Foods- good lunch place to take guests- $10 each
5. Steak & Stein- Newburgh- The Banta Burger Basket is the best burger around, almost as good as Corner Bistro and comes with fries and a basic but refreshing salad bar for $9 + a very large beer for $5
6. Big W's ( this is far away and I forget where it is but it is the best smoked chix, brisket, pork etc.. I've had north of the South, so it stays on the list.) It's real BBQ, which is rare up here, don't know why that is, It's not like it's difficult to do.- $12-$15 each
7. The Depot-Cold Spring. BEER, too bad you have to drive back so imbibing is not an option unless you find a teetotaler to drive. I know some will say there plenty of good places to have beers/drinks right here in Beacon, well...I disagree. the beer there is good and cold, the people are nice and funny.
8. Le Bouchon- also Cold Spring- Mussels. $13 + Beer. not the friendliest bunch but the fries are good too. other stuff on the menu is also good but I'm thrifty.
9. ZuZu's. Main street Beacon. Good coffee and tea. especially the after 3pm 1/2 price cup.
10. haven't found it or have forgotten

tell me what's good

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i like the food from my own grill in the yard and a cold one to drink most of the time

however i do like good sea food so with out a lot of dollars were would a person go other than red lobster
the river terace has good food but the price did not match the food portions in my opinion for sea food

as for Italian food again my wife and her mom are from Italy and came across the pond so when they get together to cook it is a all day thing and a all evening meal...... so i am very picky about the Italian places

for just a every day quick meal on the run i guess the cracker barrel the last time i was their was at Christmas time during the last second shopping it had a lot of people their and we had to wait about a half hr to get a table but the food was ok for the money
Glad to see a mention of Riverview in Cold Spring. There are lots places others mentioned that I can agree with (Max's is a weekly favorite!) but hands down, Riverview is my favorite fine dining restaurant in this area. We have been going there for 12 years! Try Wednesdays for the locals night: pizza specials and a fixed price menu, but get there early if you want an outside seat with a sunset view!

Anthony Rosa said:
1. Riverview, Cold Spring, Jim Eli's pizza is very good.
2. Le Bouchon, Cold Spring, great fries sprayed w/ vinegar and mussels.
3. Il Barilotto, Fishkill, expensive and worth it.
4. Cenacolo, Newburgh, expensive and very worth it.
5. I miss the Jamaican place, which is now Poppy's.
6. Homespun
7. Beacon Bagle
8. Always liked Quinn's breakfast Sunday morning.
Bon Appetit!
Brother's for Pizza....all conversation starts and stops there!!!!
Ok, I'm really thrifty. What are 10 good meals I can eat for under 10 bucks?

Here are few of my favorites, but I need more variety.

A couple slices at Brothers.
The gyro at the Yankee Clipper.
Splitting a sub at Subway.
Mayo-less tuna or whitefish on a bagel at Beacon Bagel.
See Molson's post above.

Andy Brown said:

Hey Molson, you going to invite me dinner?

Henry said:
See Molson's post above.

Andy Brown said:

1. THE FROG
2. THE HUB
3. MAXS
4. FRANKS TAVERN
5. FISHKILL BEER DISCOUNT
6. COSTAL EGG SANDWICH
7. DURKINS TURKEY SUB
8. FLAT BREAD SANDWICH AT DUNKIN
9. BELLY BUSTER FROM MR. V'S
10. WING ZING WITH FRIES FROM KENNEDYS FRIED CHICKEN ( GET THE HOT )
My dream is to have a slice,well done, of course, with you Irwin.

Irwin Wurm said:
Brother's for Pizza....all conversation starts and stops there!!!!
Alright, let's get down to the particulars so people know what to eat when they get there:

"Grandma's Pizza" from Brothers, not on the menu but ask for it. Fresh tomato sauce, garlic, and fresh mozzarella cheese and thicker crust. Blows their regular pizza out of the water, unless you are a stickler for a standard slice.

Runsas from Homespun...no matter what the filling is, get it. Sweet Portuguese bread baked around yummy fillings (gruyere, scrambled eggs, bacon or broccoli rabe for starters)

Homemade dumplings and the duck wrap from Isamu.

Honey sesame paletas (ice cream pops) or Mt Beacon paletas from Zora Dora (why is this not on everyone's list??). In fact, anything from Zora Dora, the man is a genius. $2.50 a pop.

Ices from Grasshopper...only $1, and get the natural syrups that she makes (coconut, mango, kiwi, etc) instead of the neon artificial ones. Ask for sweetened condensed milk and chile powder to be drizzled on top, no extra charge.

Papusas (only on Sunday and you have to go early) from La Tienda next to Beacon Natural. Resurrected store has the nicest owner, my god. Get your avocadoes, mangos and plantains there too. Now they sell rotisserie chickens Thursday - Saturday.

Beacon Farmers Market! Every Sunday and filled with incredible treats. Any smoked meat from Walnut Grove Farms (best bacon in the area and the smoked ham steaks are crazy good). She (Holly) also has terrific pastured eggs for a good price. All veggies from Common Ground Farm are stunning and ridiculously reasonable. Tomatoes and peaches from Fishkill Farms. Honey Locust Farm has killer raspberries, some heirloom variety with not a hint of sourness and apple cider syrup.

Phew, what a town.
i love this.
what a town is right!

Jennifer Clair said:
Alright, let's get down to the particulars so people know what to eat when they get there:

"Grandma's Pizza" from Brothers, not on the menu but ask for it. Fresh tomato sauce, garlic, and fresh mozzarella cheese and thicker crust. Blows their regular pizza out of the water, unless you are a stickler for a standard slice.

Runsas from Homespun...no matter what the filling is, get it. Sweet Portuguese bread baked around yummy fillings (gruyere, scrambled eggs, bacon or broccoli rabe for starters)

Honey sesame paletas (ice cream pops) or Mt Beacon paletas from Zora Dora (why is this not on everyone's list??). In fact, anything from Zora Dora, the man is a genius. $2.50 a pop.

Ices from Grasshopper...only $1, and get the natural syrups that she makes (coconut, mango, kiwi, etc) instead of the neon artificial ones. Ask for sweetened condensed milk and chile powder to be drizzled on top, no extra charge.

Papusas (only on Sunday and you have to go early) from La Tienda next to Beacon Natural. Resurrected store has the nicest owner, my god. Get your avocadoes, mangos and plantains there too. Now they sell rotisserie chickens Thursday - Saturday.

Beacon Farmers Market! Every Sunday and filled with incredible treats. Any smoked meat from Walnut Grove Farms (best bacon in the area and the smoked ham steaks are crazy good). She (Holly) also has terrific pastured eggs for a good price. All veggies from Common Ground Farm are stunning and ridiculously reasonable. Tomatoes and peaches from Fishkill Farms. Honey Locust Farm has killer raspberries, some heirloom variety with not a hint of sourness and apple cider syrup.

Phew, what a town.
Grandma's Pizza is one of the best kept secret's in town. I don't know why they don't put it on the menu but it's the best pizza at Brothers.

I have gotten chickens from La Tienda and I'll have to go back this Sunday and try the Papusas.

My recent favorite from Zora Dora is the Pineapple, Lime, Chili and Sea Salt. Not what you expect from a popsicle at all. Sweet, salty and a little hot.

Haven't been there for a while but Joe's Italian Marketplace in Fishkill is known for great sandwiches, bread and gourmet items.

Jennifer Clair said:

Phew, what a town.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Kelly Kingman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service