No particular order and sticking to affordable (there are some great places in the area that are REALLY good but which I can only afford once in a blue moon) - starting with Beacon and moving east to west:
Let me start by saying I wish I could have added Marlena's kitchen, but alas they recently suffered the fate of way too many local places. I wonder what's wrong with that location as Augies' was pretty good as well. Hard to tell who can and can not make it.
1. Zuzu's- coffee, tea pastries (supposedly they just hired a baker with gluten free experience so my little sis will finally be happy).
2. Beacon Bagels - very good bagels within walking distance! THANKS FOR COMING TO BEACON! Even if your marketing annoys people (just kidding).
3. Burger Place on the west end - can't remember their name but very good vegetarian burger and awesome regular burger even if its way too pricey. And the counter help is beautifuuuul! Ooops, does that violate the site's pc rules?
4. Homespun - when I have a lot of time on my hands and can wait 20 minutes for a salad they are awesome.
5. Toro - their korean is as good as on 32nd st in the city.
6. Indian Place - a little on the pricey side but very good.
7. I84 Diner - their omelletes are way better than the Yankee Clipper.
8. Cafe Maya - good drinks and decent mexican
9. Chinese place in strip mall where Toro and Indian place is - best chinese takeout within easy driving distance (though this is not saying much).
10. The Depot - yup, especially on sundays.
11. Le Bouchon - yup
12. Joe's Irish - when I want to get ripped, enjoy the local color and be able to stumble home (if I don't piss someone off and get the **** beaten out of me which seems to happen way too frequently...).
OK, more than 10. Where is Big W's? Never tried it. Should give it a shot.
Try Virgo's Sip N Soul Cafe at 469 Fishkill Avenue in Beacon. It used to be an Indian Restaurant. Good food and a really nice guy is trying to add another great place to eat in Beacon. Give him a try, you won't be sorry. It just might make your list.
I thought it became a ghetto nightclub?
rosilyn fletcher said:Try Virgo's Sip N Soul Cafe at 469 Fishkill Avenue in Beacon. It used to be an Indian Restaurant. Good food and a really nice guy is trying to add another great place to eat in Beacon. Give him a try, you won't be sorry. It just might make your list.
We just had supper at Virgo's this evening. We found really tasty food, super-friendly people, and excellent prices-- definitely check it out!
Where is Virgo's?
Shelly Blumenthal said:We just had supper at Virgo's this evening. We found really tasty food, super-friendly people, and excellent prices-- definitely check it out!
I'm a little late to this thread, but I figure I'll jump in anyway!!
First of all, I have to just give Tanjore, the Indian Restaurant in Fishkill some credit, as they keep being spoken about as just 'the Indian Restaurant'. They have another location in Rhinebeck if you are ever traveling that way.
I also wanted to make a comment about the Cold Spring Depot. I am glad so many people enjoy it and have it on their lists as it is a beautiful location. However, I have had more than one less than favorable experience there and don't intend to ever visit again.
I don't know if I can number my list, because each restaurant fits my life at different times, not necessarily that one is better than another.
~ Tanjore, Fishkill http://www.tanjoreindiancuisine.com/ has the best Indian food around. Check out their buffet lunches and for something different, the weekend brunch is great. You will have things there you may not have at any other Indian restaurant.
~ BEST PIZZA - if you haven't tried it, RUN, don't walk to Gourmet 52, Hopewell Junction! http://gourmet52.com/ Home of the 28" Jumbo Pizza - freak the kids out and have one delivered!
~ Dining with kids, Hudson Buffet, Fishkill is easy and offers something for everyone. Be prepared to wait on Saturday nights.
~ I agree Brothers is great for Italian, but I much prefer Pleasant Ridge II, Beacon www.beaconmainstreetbiz.com right on Main Street.
~ Also, Lo Stivale, Fishkill http://lostivalerestaurant.com/ offers family style entrees. If you look at the prices on the menu, they may scare you, until you realize you can share entrees.
~ Can't forget Sukhothai Restaurant, Beacon http://www.sukhothainy.net/ for great Thai food, especially after having Thai food elsewhere recently!
~ ZuZu's, Beacon for a great cup of coffee, iced tea, cappuccino, etc. Love when they offer the gluten-free chocolate chip cookies (hint, hint). For a quick lunch, the empanada's are incredible, especially the sweet potato! Go have one for me, since these are not gluten-free, I'm not longer able to enjoy them.
~ Almost always have great steak and baked potatoes at Hudsons Ribs and Fish, Fishkill http://www.hudsonsribsandfish.com/ Everyone loves the popovers and strawberry butter too!
~ A little on the higher end of the scale, love Mojo Grill, Wappingers http://mojogrill.net/ Unique menu, changed seaonally (?) with fresh ingredients.
~ For Mexican we do enjoy Maya Cafe, Fishkill http://www.mayacafecantina.com/
That was fun!