CONNECT

Beacon Citizen Network (BCN): a place for neighbors to get the word out, be heard and stay informed in all matters concerning Beacon, NY.

SPONSORS

Photobucket

Your Top 10 eating/drinking places in the area

My wife and I were trying to make this list last night as a top 5 but them decided there was room for a few more. We limited ourselves 1.) to reasonable price (I suppose this is relative but we said under 15-20 fora dinner entree, knowing that that was the top end for us and something we'd try to avoid too often.) & 2.) 30 mile radius (this counted out one of our favorite places so we added back on the list.)

In doing this we thought, there's got to be more. So I ask you, what are your top 10 spots to drink, eat, and hang out while not getting robbed by the establishment and not traveling really far?

It would help if you added a sentence as to why the place is on your list.

Thanks

Our list is this---in no particular order

1. Toro- Fishkill strip mall plaza on 52- good sushi, great Korean searing rice bowls-$12 each + beer
2. The Indian Place in the same strip mall- great tasting food, nice people-$15-$20 each
3. The Beacon Diner- always good for a large salad and some fries or soup or sand. Also a fun place to drink Budweisers ($2.75 I think)- $6-$12 each
4. Homespun Foods- good lunch place to take guests- $10 each
5. Steak & Stein- Newburgh- The Banta Burger Basket is the best burger around, almost as good as Corner Bistro and comes with fries and a basic but refreshing salad bar for $9 + a very large beer for $5
6. Big W's ( this is far away and I forget where it is but it is the best smoked chix, brisket, pork etc.. I've had north of the South, so it stays on the list.) It's real BBQ, which is rare up here, don't know why that is, It's not like it's difficult to do.- $12-$15 each
7. The Depot-Cold Spring. BEER, too bad you have to drive back so imbibing is not an option unless you find a teetotaler to drive. I know some will say there plenty of good places to have beers/drinks right here in Beacon, well...I disagree. the beer there is good and cold, the people are nice and funny.
8. Le Bouchon- also Cold Spring- Mussels. $13 + Beer. not the friendliest bunch but the fries are good too. other stuff on the menu is also good but I'm thrifty.
9. ZuZu's. Main street Beacon. Good coffee and tea. especially the after 3pm 1/2 price cup.
10. haven't found it or have forgotten

tell me what's good

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brother's doesn't have fresh Moz do they? Ain't a grandma unless it's fresh Moz

Andy Brown said:
Grandma's Pizza is one of the best kept secret's in town. I don't know why they don't put it on the menu but it's the best pizza at Brothers.

I have gotten chickens from La Tienda and I'll have to go back this Sunday and try the Papusas.

My recent favorite from Zora Dora is the Pineapple, Lime, Chili and Sea Salt. Not what you expect from a popsicle at all. Sweet, salty and a little hot.

Haven't been there for a while but Joe's Italian Marketplace in Fishkill is known for great sandwiches, bread and gourmet items.

Jennifer Clair said:
Alright, let's get down to the particulars so people know what to eat when they get there:
"Grandma's Pizza" from Brothers, not on the menu but ask for it. Fresh tomato sauce, garlic, and fresh mozzarella cheese and thicker crust. Blows their regular pizza out of the water, unless you are a stickler for a standard slice.
Runsas from Homespun...no matter what the filling is, get it. Sweet Portuguese bread baked around yummy fillings (gruyere, scrambled eggs, bacon or broccoli rabe for starters)

Homemade dumplings and the duck wrap from Isamu.

Honey sesame paletas (ice cream pops) or Mt Beacon paletas from Zora Dora (why is this not on everyone's list??). In fact, anything from Zora Dora, the man is a genius. $2.50 a pop.

Ices from Grasshopper...only $1, and get the natural syrups that she makes (coconut, mango, kiwi, etc) instead of the neon artificial ones. Ask for sweetened condensed milk and chile powder to be drizzled on top, no extra charge.

Papusas (only on Sunday and you have to go early) from La Tienda next to Beacon Natural. Resurrected store has the nicest owner, my god. Get your avocadoes, mangos and plantains there too. Now they sell rotisserie chickens Thursday - Saturday.

Beacon Farmers Market! Every Sunday and filled with incredible treats. Any smoked meat from Walnut Grove Farms (best bacon in the area and the smoked ham steaks are crazy good). She (Holly) also has terrific pastured eggs for a good price. All veggies from Common Ground Farm are stunning and ridiculously reasonable. Tomatoes and peaches from Fishkill Farms. Honey Locust Farm has killer raspberries, some heirloom variety with not a hint of sourness and apple cider syrup.

Phew, what a town.
Is there any place in Beacon that uses fresh mozzarella on a pizza? I don't think I've ever seen it, even when advertised, unfortunately.
Brothers uses it for their pomodoro and bruschetta, so they definitely have it.
They told me no last time I asked
It amazes me no one has mentioned the sopes, tacos and guacamole at Roma Nova. They make the guacamole fresh, with just cilantro and a little salt and make their own tortilla chips. Sopes are like tostadas, but with a homemade "shell" on the bottom, crumbled queso fresco on top, and salsa verde on the side. My favorite meal under $10.
thanks for the cheat sheet Jennifer! I'm going to check some not-yet-had off my list next week.

Ditto Zora Dora. My fave is dulce de leche with caramalized banana. I dream about it.

Jennifer Clair said:
Alright, let's get down to the particulars so people know what to eat when they get there:...
Moment of silence for Marlena's pickle soup & pierogies.
Ok sorry for the blitz. Last thing:

Brothers BBQ in New Windsor. These three guys are from North Carolina, they know what's up. Get the burnt ends when available. Best thing going if it's not a festival day and you can't get Beacon's own Miss Hattie's (event and catering only.)

http://www.thebrothersbarbecue.com/
They have papusas? Whoa. I used to get them in Alexandria and at a little place on Grand in Brooklyn. That's great news!

Jennifer Clair said:
Alright, let's get down to the particulars so people know what to eat when they get there:

"Grandma's Pizza" from Brothers, not on the menu but ask for it. Fresh tomato sauce, garlic, and fresh mozzarella cheese and thicker crust. Blows their regular pizza out of the water, unless you are a stickler for a standard slice.

Runsas from Homespun...no matter what the filling is, get it. Sweet Portuguese bread baked around yummy fillings (gruyere, scrambled eggs, bacon or broccoli rabe for starters)

Homemade dumplings and the duck wrap from Isamu.

Honey sesame paletas (ice cream pops) or Mt Beacon paletas from Zora Dora (why is this not on everyone's list??). In fact, anything from Zora Dora, the man is a genius. $2.50 a pop.

Ices from Grasshopper...only $1, and get the natural syrups that she makes (coconut, mango, kiwi, etc) instead of the neon artificial ones. Ask for sweetened condensed milk and chile powder to be drizzled on top, no extra charge.

Papusas (only on Sunday and you have to go early) from La Tienda next to Beacon Natural. Resurrected store has the nicest owner, my god. Get your avocadoes, mangos and plantains there too. Now they sell rotisserie chickens Thursday - Saturday.

Beacon Farmers Market! Every Sunday and filled with incredible treats. Any smoked meat from Walnut Grove Farms (best bacon in the area and the smoked ham steaks are crazy good). She (Holly) also has terrific pastured eggs for a good price. All veggies from Common Ground Farm are stunning and ridiculously reasonable. Tomatoes and peaches from Fishkill Farms. Honey Locust Farm has killer raspberries, some heirloom variety with not a hint of sourness and apple cider syrup.

Phew, what a town.
forgot about these guys. Closest BBQ and really good/authentic. nice guys too. weekdays lunch

Kelly Kingman said:
Ok sorry for the blitz. Last thing:

Brothers BBQ in New Windsor. These three guys are from North Carolina, they know what's up. Get the burnt ends when available. Best thing going if it's not a festival day and you can't get Beacon's own Miss Hattie's (event and catering only.)

http://www.thebrothersbarbecue.com/
tried the empanadas today. $1.30 and they rule. you could eat all the flavors for lunch be full, get a 40 and a lottery ticket next door and be set

"Papusas (only on Sunday and you have to go early) from La Tienda next to Beacon Natural. Resurrected store has the nicest owner, my god. Get your avocadoes, mangos and plantains there too. Now they sell rotisserie chickens Thursday"
Ok. I am a chef and am VERY critical and picky of where I will eat. I love to go out and try different places in the area (gotta scope out the competition). There are only a handful of places i am a return customer to. Not in any particular order...

Double O Grill (I set my bar low and have never been disappointed. Excellent salads.)
Jade China (Shop Rite plaza in Fishkill. Best Chinese food around.)
Kennedy's Fried Chicken (I lived 11 years in the south and by far the best fried chicken i ever ate is still Kennedy's.)
Stephano's (Wappingers Falls. Best Italian food around. I worked 5 years in Italian restaurants. I would know.)
Chen Young (Next to Hannaford's in Wappingers. They have the best sushi in the area. The regular menu items are delicious as well.)
Leo's (Across from Dutchess Stadium. Best pizza in the area and the regular food is good also.)
Cafe Maya (Most authentic Mexican food outside of the city.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Kelly Kingman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service