CONNECT

Beacon Citizen Network (BCN): a place for neighbors to get the word out, be heard and stay informed in all matters concerning Beacon, NY.

SPONSORS

Photobucket

My wife and 2 year old and I are considering moving to Beacon - we've known it for a while for arts and hiking, and now she is going to be working in Poughkeepsie, and I'll still be commuting in to Manhattan. We've trying to get a handle on the more residential parts of town, and I'm wondering where people think is a good place to look for a house in Beacon.

Views: 180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, Jon closed Hermitage and was on his way to Majorca at the beginning of the summer. I miss the place - bought a couple treasures there and had great conversations. I always liked how he featured Bob Creeley's work, who was a teacher mentor and friend of mine back in my Buffalo days. Jon's spirit is missed.

Judith Filc said:
I didn't know it had closed. I haven't been there since May.

Charlene Vesuvius said:
Did this not close months ago? Did it reopen?

Judith Filc said:
There IS a bookstore in Beacon, a wonderful one, although specialized (mostly poetry and fine arts, some fiction, some essay, from what I've seen). It's called Hermitage and it's on Tioronda, off of Main Street. It's a great place, you should check it out. Limited hours though - Friday through Sunday, 12 to 6.

Stephanie Parent said:
I am not one to type in a forum where I might be identified - feels fairly vulnerable, but i can't pass up the opportunity. I have lived here for 3 months. I moved here after a separation from my husband and without knowing a soul. I actually have only lived in the state of New York for about a year. I grew up in Vermont and lived in Birmingham, AL for a five year stint before returning to the Northeast. I am very glad to be out of the south. I moved to Orange County originally and got a job in Yorktown as a Social Worker. I hated Orange County and wanted to move closer to work. My first thought was to move to Cold Spring - super cute, but i liked the diversity in Beacon. I also liked the cheaper rents in Beacon. I had some "musts" before moving here. I wanted a good coffee shop, a health food store, and a book store. Two out of three isn't bad. I can't figure out where the really cool, educated, environmentally conscious people hang out though. If anyone could help on this front it would be appreciated. The verdict is still out for me on this lovely town but i am so happy to explore a new part of the country. I like visiting Fishkill and Cold Spring too.....
I'm very sorry to hear that. It was a great store, and I liked Jon too.

Dan Rigney said:
Yes, Jon closed Hermitage and was on his way to Majorca at the beginning of the summer. I miss the place - bought a couple treasures there and had great conversations. I always liked how he featured Bob Creeley's work, who was a teacher mentor and friend of mine back in my Buffalo days. Jon's spirit is missed.

Judith Filc said:
I didn't know it had closed. I haven't been there since May.

Charlene Vesuvius said:
Did this not close months ago? Did it reopen?

Judith Filc said:
There IS a bookstore in Beacon, a wonderful one, although specialized (mostly poetry and fine arts, some fiction, some essay, from what I've seen). It's called Hermitage and it's on Tioronda, off of Main Street. It's a great place, you should check it out. Limited hours though - Friday through Sunday, 12 to 6.

Stephanie Parent said:
I am not one to type in a forum where I might be identified - feels fairly vulnerable, but i can't pass up the opportunity. I have lived here for 3 months. I moved here after a separation from my husband and without knowing a soul. I actually have only lived in the state of New York for about a year. I grew up in Vermont and lived in Birmingham, AL for a five year stint before returning to the Northeast. I am very glad to be out of the south. I moved to Orange County originally and got a job in Yorktown as a Social Worker. I hated Orange County and wanted to move closer to work. My first thought was to move to Cold Spring - super cute, but i liked the diversity in Beacon. I also liked the cheaper rents in Beacon. I had some "musts" before moving here. I wanted a good coffee shop, a health food store, and a book store. Two out of three isn't bad. I can't figure out where the really cool, educated, environmentally conscious people hang out though. If anyone could help on this front it would be appreciated. The verdict is still out for me on this lovely town but i am so happy to explore a new part of the country. I like visiting Fishkill and Cold Spring too.....
Hey Brent,
We just bought a house on Verplank Between Davis and Schenk and with a 2 year old we were also worried about the traffic. It's been about 6 months since we moved in and We haven't had a problem at all. We have a nice fenced in back yard which is great for our son, but we routinely walk along verplank as a family with and without the stroller and have never been worried or felt in danger from cars. I know we are on the slower, less trafficed end of Verplank, but we wanted to let you know our experience since we had the same concerns before buying. And we love our house, and its 2 blocks from our office which is also nice : }

Brent Spodek said:
Hi Cabot: thanks for the thoughts! you said you live near cross and verplank - how is it living near verplank? there is a house there, right across from the high school fields that we are very interested in, but we're concerned about being on such a busy street. any thoughts?

and by the way, your puppets look awesome - when i get past the point when i am obsessing about real estate all the time, i'd love to see them.

thanks!

Brent

Cabot Parsons said:
My wife and I are up on the north end of Cross Street above Verplank. We've been here about five years and while we don't have children ourselves we've seen a number of young couples with small children move on our street and enjoying the area. Our street is one of the walking shortcuts to the high school, plus you can walk to the train from here and if your wife is driving to Poughkeepsie daily it is nice to be only a couple of blocks to 9D and 84, though she can also take the train up to Poughkeepsie depending on where she's working. While not "on" the mountain several houses over here have beautiful views of the mountain. And only a few blocks from the Beacon Creamery! Important considerations for a growing child!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Kelly Kingman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service