CONNECT

Beacon Citizen Network (BCN): a place for neighbors to get the word out, be heard and stay informed in all matters concerning Beacon, NY.

SPONSORS

Photobucket

There seems to be an acceptance that parking cars in front lawns - notably along 9D, is a non enforceable code in the city of Beacon - is this true ? Apart from the potential run off of car fluids into the ground, one can not discount the impact of community aesthetics.

Anybody else have an opinion on this topic ?

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tim,

This is a time honored Beacon tradition, second only to leaving your Christmas lights up all year round.
There is a code about having non-registered cars parked in the driveway (and possibly a code about cars without wheels - I forget the wording, but you should read the city codes).

Run-off of car fluids happens wether a car is in a driveway or on "the ground" and people have the right to park cars on their own private property....What is the issue with community aesthetics (I must've missed that meeting where we voted on aesthetics...I have some very specific wants when it comes to aesthetics and would love to use the tyranical majority to turn my desires into enforcable codes!!)?
actually cars on a paved surface are more likely to have their vital fluids end up in the creek or river. A grass strip in the middle of a driveway, or a porous surface is better looking, even with a beater like mine sitting on it.
ok- so it is unlawful to park an unregistered or abandoned car on a lawn. But what about registered and drivable vehicles parked on a front lawn. There is one house on my block that has a long driveway that can fit over 5 cars, but instead of parallel parking, they choose to park at least 1 sometimes 2 cars on their front lawn. It is disgusting....and trashy. It brings down the value of the neighborhood. Does anyone know how to combat this issue?
Isn't there bigger things to worry about?
Stefanie...go speak with your neighbors and let them know that their parking is causing your property value to go down. That is what grown adults would do....
Yes, that is an option to go and talk to the neighbors, although it can also open up an unpleasant can of worms.

You say "that is what grown adults do". "Grown adults" also ask questions and have discussions about issues. They learn all they can before deciding on a course of action. And since this discussion is called "parking cars on front lawns", I discussed. I was curious about any town laws or ordinances already put in place about this issue. Laws and ordinances are put in place so that ordinary citizens are not expected to act as the police.

Another "grown up" thing to do would be to try and get a law passed banning all cars parked on front laws, instead of taking matters into their own hands. I am a female, and you are obviously a man. Unfortunately in the course of history in this country, neighborhood relations can and have at times gotten violent. I do not know these neighbors and am not willing to risk my safety or potential damage to my property if these neighbors are not friendly to my suggestions.

And just to let you know, I will no longer respond to any of your posts or comments. I do not enjoy obnoxious banter. I, unlike you, am not trying to be provocative, just asking questions and educating myself about an issue obviously effecting more than myself in Beacon. Good Luck.

Big Pimpin said:
Stefanie...go speak with your neighbors and let them know that their parking is causing your property value to go down. That is what grown adults would do....
Not if you are trying to sell your house. Ask any real estate professional.

See my reply to big pimpin please for more.

Jay Roberts said:
Isn't there bigger things to worry about?
Stefanie....
I agree with you.

This is purely a quality of life issue. One of many that we grapple with in Beacon. Noise ordinance, loitering, open air drug dealing are some others.
thanks for the words of support!

Henry said:
Stefanie....
I agree with you.

This is purely a quality of life issue. One of many that we grapple with in Beacon. Noise ordinance, loitering, open air drug dealing are some others.
So Stefanie...because something might open a can of worms, you think it is the city's responsiblity to create a law because you find something distasteful or trashy??? And your blaming it on you being a women??

I can't believe that I am the one who gets banned on this site...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Kelly Kingman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service