CONNECT

Beacon Citizen Network (BCN): a place for neighbors to get the word out, be heard and stay informed in all matters concerning Beacon, NY.

SPONSORS

Photobucket

Illegal use of Mt Beacon Memorial Drive (access road)

Since this post was closed to replies I thought it might be helpful to start a new and continued discussion. I watched about a dozen 4x4s ride up the access road about 10 minutes ago, and am baffled at why this illegal activity can't be curbed by a simple gate. The previous discussion evolved into a conversation about creating a 4x4 friendly park as well as starting a volunteer group of 4x4 riders to help with emergencies on the mountain. Both of those topics are valid but steer the conversation away from the primary issue. In my opinion the issue is that cars and 4x4s that illegally utilize the Mt Beacon access road harm the mountain park, encourage littering by allowing people to bring up more waste than someone on foot, endanger visitors on the foot paths, encourage illegal activities like underage drinking, etc. As 4x4s speed past I wonder if they are even street legal.

The mayor said he would have a meeting on the topic with the Police Chief, Park Rangers, and Scenic Hudson, but there has been no follow up so far. This would be a great place to keep the public updated on the progress made in that meeting.

Views: 3256

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

beacon, fishkill, and maybe the state and scenic hudson need to get together and reach some sort of policy and agreement

this situation only exists because of breaks in jurisdiction

i heard some chatter about saving money by combining fishkill/ beacon pd someday. it would not be a simple effort but it makes a lot of sense financially and logistically

until then, there simply needs to be more enforcement actions on the beacon side

and the only way you get that is go to city council meetings and be a squeaky wheel

You are right on all counts Ben, but the Mayor has no jurisdiction and the other parties seen to not have the funds.  Now that NY parks has purchased some land there may be some control with fines.  swimming in the reservoir and inviting people to come and swim in our water supply is pretty outrageous.  Escape from Brooklyn is a site promoting this.  As for the traffic on the mountain there are alot of unresolved issues that can only be dealt with in court, and with stiff fines for violating the law.  City council is a joke in that those that sit on the counsel have their own agendas and it is politics as usual.  I had a hell of a time getting somone to remove an illegal leanto on their house.  I got the same old sob story from the zoning enforcement but finally got rid of a hideous blue tarp.  while I am at it with this rant, I have to add something that most do not know.  I researched the architect of the old Howland Library and presented to the board the history and importance of the building.  They, the city of Beacon were going to tear it down.  Urban renewal was a free for all in this city, so I have to say that I don't have alot of confidence in the government.  We the people are finally the answer to our problems.  Glad to be a member of this group.  Penelope

Interesting find, hiding in plain sight. The entire area including that property is zoned R-4A 1-Family Residence District.

To me, it's one thing to have some summer rentals and the occasional wedding, even if it's obviously illegal. It's another thing entirely to build a spa/resort without permits and clearly against the existing zoning.

Can she get the zoning changed after the fact? Is that her plan?

Anthony Gold said:

I recently moved here and noticed the same thing. After some investigating I was a little taken back when I found out there was an event venue there. http://www.lambshill.com/#!/HOME
Just curious after reading all the previous comments how this happens.
Urban *Removal*

The town of Fishkill supervisor should hear from all those people who have a concern about what is going on on the mountain.  Voicing here is great in that we inform each other but a protest has to be filed as to zoning violations in writing with as many signatures as possible.  Thanks for being a concerned citizen.  The N Y state parks has purchased the mountain and Governor Cuomo is interested in this so write him, and the city mayor and the parks comission.

You are correct. The internet is great for rallying support and sharing information, but local government doesn't respond to online pressure.

I think that if you were to compose letters to local government, letters to the editor, etc. you would find plenty of neighbors and concerned citizens to sign on to it. You could build on that and speak at the city council meeting(s), bringing active supporters to echo your concern.

Remember, we're talking about a real estate agent who has built a commercial structure on property zoned residential, presumably with no permits or town approvals. I am understanding of a property owner's desire to do what they want with it, but to compare what was on that property a year ago to what is there today shows a sociopathic disregard for everyone else within eyesight of Mt Beacon.

Kind of like the strident illegal ATV/Jeep drivers on Mt. Beacon!

penelope hedges said:

The town of Fishkill supervisor should hear from all those people who have a concern about what is going on on the mountain.  Voicing here is great in that we inform each other but a protest has to be filed as to zoning violations in writing with as many signatures as possible.  Thanks for being a concerned citizen.  The N Y state parks has purchased the mountain and Governor Cuomo is interested in this so write him, and the city mayor and the parks comission.

Isn't is a farm up there as well? COCKADOODLEDOO!!  A new alarm clock apparently up on the mountain....

It looks like one of the Defenders of The Mountain ran their vehicle off the top of the reservoir and cracked their head open today. They had to be airlifted out. Not sure how many of the emergency vehicles were able to make it up the deteriorating access road.

So much for the ownership change of hands leading to enforcement of illegal traffic on the mountain. It's more popular up there than hiking Breakneck Ridge these days. Maybe it's time to set up a gatehouse at Mountain Lane and charge for access.

I got swept up in the gossip. Apparently THIS mountain emergency was a broadcast tech returning from working on the towers. If true, he had no business driving up there because that wreck was completely avoidable.

Sorry to make a quick assumption here.

TC said:

It looks like one of the Defenders of The Mountain ran their vehicle off the top of the reservoir and cracked their head open today. They had to be airlifted out. Not sure how many of the emergency vehicles were able to make it up the deteriorating access road.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Kelly Kingman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service