CONNECT

Beacon Citizen Network (BCN): a place for neighbors to get the word out, be heard and stay informed in all matters concerning Beacon, NY.

SPONSORS

Photobucket

I have heard a rumor that the patients at Hedgewood are served peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch - can anyone comment on the accuracy of this rumor / the real situation at Hedgewood. I would also like to know whether it is a private or a public institution.
Thanks

Views: 128

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Are you interested in stopping by for a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich? Might be easier to make one at home....
I prefer chunky
Do you mean every day for every meal, because I have a 4 year old who will ONLY eat PB&J's for lunch...
definitely wouldn't recommend your child eating with these people.
Sonia Roy said:
Do you mean every day for every meal, because I have a 4 year old who will ONLY eat PB&J's for lunch...
Jo Barber said:
I've often wondered what the story was at this place. Why do the residents have to go out and beg? Is the facility getting their State Checks and not providing proper food, clothes, security? Are there relatives who are not aware of the conditions?

I've only seen those folk beg for $$ at the Dunkin Donuts - my guess is they don't have pocket money to buy donuts and coffee, and it never looks to me like any are starving - although that dude in the heels with the radio is way slim, but I think he likes it that way ! I've never been approached for $$ for clothing or other types of food - just donuts. Not sure why the security is in question - it's an assisted living facility, not a lock-down. You can find their website easily enough with google- maybe that's a good place for you to start.
Hedgewood exists so that we normal townies have a convenient local epithet for "crazy person."
E.g. My boyfriend wanders around town like a Hedgewood regular, taking pictures of anything in front of him. --Beacon Citizen Network, early 2009.

Worrying about accuracy of "rumors" and "real situations" regarding peanut butter and jelly sandwiches may put you on the short list for admission to this facility.

Personally, I find the residents of Hedgewood who walk the sidewalks of Rt. 52 to be a reassuring presence and a touch of humanity in an otherwise bleak landscape of car dealerships. The skinny guy with the radio has a new pair of boots that must have 8 inch heels. I still miss "Got a dollar?" David, a man with long white hair, a beard and a yellow raincoat, who often came into town to chat.

Not to add to the rumor mill, but I heard they serve Fluffernutters on holidays.
The City of Beacon should have a slogan:

Beacon Now! Next Stop Hedgewood.
Hedgewood is a private facility and may be subsidized by the government. These people are extremely medicated and walk around like zombies most of the time. Jo - these people beg for change so they can buy alcohol and $2 bjs from Fran the Man. Most of them are pretty harmless for the most part and offer diversity and even some comedy to main st.

Philomena said:
Jo Barber said:
I've often wondered what the story was at this place. Why do the residents have to go out and beg? Is the facility getting their State Checks and not providing proper food, clothes, security? Are there relatives who are not aware of the conditions?

I've only seen those folk beg for $$ at the Dunkin Donuts - my guess is they don't have pocket money to buy donuts and coffee, and it never looks to me like any are starving - although that dude in the heels with the radio is way slim, but I think he likes it that way ! I've never been approached for $$ for clothing or other types of food - just donuts. Not sure why the security is in question - it's an assisted living facility, not a lock-down. You can find their website easily enough with google- maybe that's a good place for you to start.
I've always wanted to know not only the story of Hedgewood (not necessarily what they were served for lunch, but the last question posed in the thread opener), but primarily the individual stories of all those people--who they once were. So that we didn't just shudder or make fun. Which I presume might be a natural human response to a deep-rooted fear that any one of us could end up in a similar situation. And we could. I remember once having a conversation with David, whom Mark remembers, about the 1940s British film, "Separate Tables." He knew who Wendy Hiller was. And he remembered the Thalia on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. I was sad to see him fade away, off the streets. They all had lives, once.
Jo,
What are you talking about? If you really wonder what is going on at Hedgewood stop in and check it out. I doubt you really care. You can't see that these people are medicated and have no clue what is going on? Get a grip.
Thank you Sharon for your kind considerations and thoughts.
My intension in starting this conversation is to find out what the conditions there are. I went to their website and found some surface answers. But I would like to get more information - maybe someone knows someone who works there? Ultimately this research might lead to some involment.

Sharon Watts said:
I've always wanted to know not only the story of Hedgewood (not necessarily what they were served for lunch, but the last question posed in the thread opener), but primarily the individual stories of all those people--who they once were. So that we didn't just shudder or make fun. Which I presume might be a natural human response to a deep-rooted fear that any one of us could end up in a similar situation. And we could. I remember once having a conversation with David, whom Mark remembers, about the 1940s British film, "Separate Tables." He knew who Wendy Hiller was. And he remembered the Thalia on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. I was sad to see him fade away, off the streets. They all had lives, once.
Janine Lambers said:
Janine Lambers said:
Janine Lambers said:
Thank you Sharon for your kind considerations and thoughts.
My intension in starting this conversation is to find out what the conditions there are. I went to their website and found some surface answers. But I would like to get more information - maybe someone knows someone who works there? Ultimately this research might lead to some involvement.

Sharon Watts said:

RSS

© 2020   Created by Kelly Kingman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service