CONNECT

Beacon Citizen Network (BCN): a place for neighbors to get the word out, be heard and stay informed in all matters concerning Beacon, NY.

SPONSORS

Photobucket

Hi all -- we've been through Beacon a few times, and are considering moving to town....if this economy ever lets us. But for now, we're still on the West Coast, where I'm focused on cleantech and renewable energy.

Part of what I do out here is advise a cleantech forum that helps start-up companies in green building materials, renewable energy ideas, etc. And when you talk to those entrepreneurs, they always hope to expand to the East Coast, since that's where they feel their market is.

Now that I've been to Beacon a few times, it seems to have it all - a great community, easy highway access, an airport (admittedly Stewart has few passenger flights right now but I was thinking more about freight) and a good mix of industrial and commercial land.

So...is their any concerted effort to entice these firms to set up in Beacon? This isn't just dreaming at this point - there are real companies getting funded, even in this economy, and while their first production facility is often here in California, they'll be looking to expand.

I've tried contacting Mayor Gold and the Hudson Valley Economic Development Corp., but to date no response. (And seriously, no knock to Mayor Gold or HVEDC -- they're probably a little busy)

But does anyone in BCN-land know of any effort to attract these opportunities to Beacon? Does Beacon even have the right mix of industrial and commercial real estate to make it work? Are there potential tax incentives? Let me know!

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kevin -- thanks! One interesting concept I've seen out here in the Bay Area is aimed at social entrepreneurs -- www.the-hub.net.

Kevin Byrne said:
There are potentially a couple of locations which would be incredibly appropriate for companies which have a sustainability mission. the waterfront area is currently being considered for a Transit oriented development project and if the zoning is done right an office building which was built to LEED standards could certainly find tenants who would want their employees to have access to transit,views,sailboats,and a place which has a long history of commitment to the environment. It would also help create a more equitable tax structure in a fairly diverse community, and avoid an over reliance on retail uses which would disrupt a developing downtown. There are also brownfield sites with existing buildings which could be reused and be the most responsible and cost effective uses for those sites.They also have empowerment zone and brownfield incentives from the state and are adjacent to a fiber optic hub. A big percentage of the buisneses actually opening up in the hudson valley are 'green' due to a good workforce, infrastructure and existing affordable locations, as well as the fact that the decision makers in those firms want to work in beautiful enjoyable place. That is plenty of incentive.
As I understand it The Hub is a coworking space for independent workers and microbusinesses, a franchise with locations around the world. It's not a "traditional" office building for larger companies that Kevin seems to suggest.

We have our own kind of Hub in Beacon called BEAHIVE — though The Hub is more evolved. We definitely have overlapping visions and are slowly heading in a similar direction. There are folks in the space that work on "the world's most pressing social, cultural and environmental challenges" — namely me. But BEAHIVE itself is more focused on the local — contributing to the local economy and a lively, living community.

BeaconWannbe said:
Kevin -- thanks! One interesting concept I've seen out here in the Bay Area is aimed at social entrepreneurs -- www.the-hub.net.
Kevin Byrne said:
There are potentially a couple of locations which would be incredibly appropriate for companies which have a sustainability mission. the waterfront area is currently being considered for a Transit oriented development project and if the zoning is done right an office building which was built to LEED standards could certainly find tenants who would want their employees to have access to transit,views,sailboats,and a place which has a long history of commitment to the environment. It would also help create a more equitable tax structure in a fairly diverse community, and avoid an over reliance on retail uses which would disrupt a developing downtown. There are also brownfield sites with existing buildings which could be reused and be the most responsible and cost effective uses for those sites.They also have empowerment zone and brownfield incentives from the state and are adjacent to a fiber optic hub. A big percentage of the buisneses actually opening up in the hudson valley are 'green' due to a good workforce, infrastructure and existing affordable locations, as well as the fact that the decision makers in those firms want to work in beautiful enjoyable place. That is plenty of incentive.
I don't see how Charlene's dig is relevant to this discussion or what I posted, but since they brought it up, let me address and correct (as usual).

Each month our coworking space has a couple "social" events and the occasional professional event in the evening. Members are given plenty of notice to work around events. Hardly disruptive to regular work. I work there often into the night. A couple others do on a rare occasion — thankfully, they have lives outside of work (more so than I it seems).

As far as advertising on this site, this site helped BEAHIVE come into being. Since we exist for the community, it's only natural BCN play a role. Just as it plays a role in advertising's CV's views, including her curious distaste for BEAHIVE (or at least our word-of-mouth BCN existence).

Charlene Vesuvius said:
And there are other co-working spaces in the area that don't advertise on this site so much, but I find are very conducive for those who like to work well into the evening without the interruption of social events.
Scott Tillitt said:
As I understand it The Hub is a coworking space for independent workers and microbusinesses, a franchise with locations around the world. It's not a "traditional" office building for larger companies that Kevin seems to suggest.

We have our own kind of Hub in Beacon called BEAHIVE — though The Hub is more evolved. We definitely have overlapping visions and are slowly heading in a similar direction. There are folks in the space that work on "the world's most pressing social, cultural and environmental challenges" — namely me. But BEAHIVE itself is more focused on the local — contributing to the local economy and a lively, living community.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Kelly Kingman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service