CONNECT

Beacon Citizen Network (BCN): a place for neighbors to get the word out, be heard and stay informed in all matters concerning Beacon, NY.

SPONSORS

Photobucket

So yeah, I saw the Food Inc. film at Beahive and I promise promise promise to read the Jonathan Safran Foer book very soon, but in the meantime a friend of mine needs to know where to get a good, fresh, humanely-killed (preferably bored to death) turkey for next week.

Any suggestions?

Tags: Thanksgiving., animals, art, eating, ethics, food, literature, locavore, meat, proselytizing, More…randomness, self-righteousness, turkey, vegetarianism

Views: 135

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

It is getting late, usually you reserve ahead of time because they let them live (happy) until the last minute. Process per orders only, so there is no frozen ones etc. The healthfood store might still have spaces.
I know I'm replying to my own reply, but after playing with this board a little more I realized that I might have been wrong about how it works. I didn't realize that you can delete your own reply at ANY time after you make it (the "editing period" notwithstanding).

So I probably misread what happened with Nancy's and Barbara's posts. They may have simply deleted their original posts and re-posted. In any event, it still makes for some confusing reading. Once you post a reply you should have to live with it forever. That's what's so great about the internet: it never forgets!

Hal Jay Greene said:
Wow, is my head spinning!
This comment will be off-topic, but I have to address this to Kelly, who I think organizes and administers this board. Can you change the setting that allows people to edit their comments, or at least shorten it to a minute or two rather than the astronomical (in internet time, anyway) 15 minutes it is now? Or failing that, is there a setting that would prevent the comment from being posted UNTIL AFTER the editing period expires?

The way it seems to work now, you can post a comment immediately for everyone to see, but still edit it for 15 minutes.

That feature has allowed this discussion to become very non-linear, and not in a good way.

For instance, Nancy seems to have thought better about her juvenile aside, and edited it out of her original comment (her complete original comment is quoted in MY comment) and now Barbara Capalbo makes reference to her own earlier comment that no longer even exists!

It makes for some very surreal reading (unless you know how the board works) and as a basic journalistic principal is just all wrong. If people want to think twice about what they say the time to do it is BEFORE they hit "post."

barbara capalbo said:
You have a right to do as you please. Enjoy your turkey - I am sure there are probably many places that kill humanely (even though I don't believe in killing anything to eat) - and forgive my earlier comment about "if you had to kill it yourself you might think twice". Obviously you don't have to and also, you surely are entitled to your own opinion.
Hal, you are right, I did think twice before I posted my comment (it's that battle of good and evil which rages inside of me.) This is a topic I am very passionate about (passion is good Hal) but things always work out the way they should and now I stand by my comments especially since you are telling Kelly on me! Are you serious you want Kelly to change the editing time because of me? LOL

I am a mean girl, so mean in fact I once interviewed to be Leona Helmsley's personal chef - true story, I wanted to learn from the best. Mean Girls is a great movie you should see it.

Had your posting started out a little differently I would have left it alone, but really, you saw a movie which was filmed to be provocative and show people what we rarely see which is a very cruel industry and then ask where to buy a turkey? You can't find a turkey in Pine Bush? Your post was added after Barbara's previous post about vegetarian topics, you even make reference to it so you were aware there are vegetarians in the midst, at least you had the decency to start a new post. I will go out on a limb here and say that after stating you saw the movie and then posting on where to find a turkey, that's just plain creepy and then your feathers get ruffled when someone comments? Call me juvenile, just sayin'.

I consider my snide remarks to be very much solicited. Here are my original remarks for all to see:

Looks like an idiot, posts like an idiot and isn't even from Beacon, HMMMMMMMM. What do you think Henry?
I boycotted Joe's Italian after I saw they sell foie gras, a very cruel animal raising practice. Perhaps you'll read about that in Jonathan's book when you get around to it.

Hal Jay Greene said:

This comment will be off-topic, but I have to address this to Kelly, who I think organizes and administers this board.

Can you change the setting that allows people to edit their comments, or at least shorten it to a minute or two rather than the astronomical (in internet time, anyway) 15 minutes it is now? Or failing that, is there a setting that would prevent the comment from being posted UNTIL AFTER the editing period expires?

The way it seems to work now, you can post a comment immediately for everyone to see, but still edit it for 15 minutes.

That feature has allowed this discussion to become very non-linear, and not in a good way.

For instance, Nancy seems to have thought better about her juvenile aside, and edited it out of her original comment (her complete original comment is quoted in MY comment) and now Barbara Capalbo makes reference to her own earlier comment that no longer even exists!

It makes for some very surreal reading (unless you know how the board works) and as a basic journalistic principal is just all wrong. If people want to think twice about what they say the time to do it is BEFORE they hit "post."

barbara capalbo said:
You have a right to do as you please. Enjoy your turkey - I am sure there are probably many places that kill humanely (even though I don't believe in killing anything to eat) - and forgive my earlier comment about "if you had to kill it yourself you might think twice". Obviously you don't have to and also, you surely are entitled to your own opinion.
Yeah, yeah, yeah...whenever someone behaves like a two-year-old, it's always for some virtuous reason, like they "care too much" or they are "just too honest."

If only you weren't so passionate about important causes, you could suffer fools like me gladly...

Life must be torture for someone as good as you. But you'd think a realtor would go out of her way not to ruffle the feathers of strangers, wouldn't you? What if I *did* decide to relocate to Beacon?

Remember: this thing started because I asked where to buy a turkey. I guess you showed me!

Nancy Rosaler said:
Hal, you are right, I did think twice before I posted my comment (it's that battle of good and evil which rages inside of me.) This is a topic I am very passionate about (passion is good Hal) but things always work out the way they should and now I stand by my comments especially since you are telling Kelly on me! Are you serious you want Kelly to change the editing time because of me? LOL

I am a mean girl, so mean in fact I once interviewed to be Leona Helmsley's personal chef - true story, I wanted to learn from the best. Mean Girls is a great movie you should see it.

Had your posting started out a little differently I would have left it alone, but really, you saw a movie which was filmed to be provocative and show people what we rarely see which is a very cruel industry and then ask where to buy a turkey? You can't find a turkey in Pine Bush? Your post was added after Barbara's previous post about vegetarian topics, you even make reference to it so you were aware there are vegetarians in the midst, at least you had the decency to start a new post. I will go out on a limb here and say that after stating you saw the movie and then posting on where to find a turkey, that's just plain creepy and then your feathers get ruffled when someone comments? Call me juvenile, just sayin'.

I consider my snide remarks to be very much solicited. Here are my original remarks for all to see:

Looks like an idiot, posts like an idiot and isn't even from Beacon, HMMMMMMMM. What do you think Henry?
I boycotted Joe's Italian after I saw they sell foie gras, a very cruel animal raising practice. Perhaps you'll read about that in Jonathan's book when you get around to it.

Hal Jay Greene said:

This comment will be off-topic, but I have to address this to Kelly, who I think organizes and administers this board.

Can you change the setting that allows people to edit their comments, or at least shorten it to a minute or two rather than the astronomical (in internet time, anyway) 15 minutes it is now? Or failing that, is there a setting that would prevent the comment from being posted UNTIL AFTER the editing period expires?

barbara capalbo said:
There is no way that I am aware of to change this within the Ning framework this site uses.

Hal Jay Greene said:

This discussion has violated the user guidelines and is closed.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Kelly Kingman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service