CONNECT

Beacon Citizen Network (BCN): a place for neighbors to get the word out, be heard and stay informed in all matters concerning Beacon, NY.

SPONSORS

Photobucket

So yeah, I saw the Food Inc. film at Beahive and I promise promise promise to read the Jonathan Safran Foer book very soon, but in the meantime a friend of mine needs to know where to get a good, fresh, humanely-killed (preferably bored to death) turkey for next week.

Any suggestions?

Tags: Thanksgiving., animals, art, eating, ethics, food, literature, locavore, meat, proselytizing, More…randomness, self-righteousness, turkey, vegetarianism

Views: 134

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

maybe try the Beacon Natural Market on Main Street ? Not sure if they have turkeys, but that may be a place to try - or see if anyone is selling turkeys at the Farmer's Market on Sunday.
Contact Anne Dailey, who runs the Hudson Valley Real Food group with whom we hosted the Food, Inc. screening: anne.dailey@gmail.com
Have your friend catch his own, snap the neck and gut. Might think twice.
The Natural Market on Main St. special orders turkeys from Murray's around Thanksgiving. Murray's is certified humane as well as organically grown. I did a lot of research on them as this is the brand of chicken, turkey and chicken liver we serve at The Bagel (sorry for the shameless plug!!!!)
I'll give it a shot. You got one?

Henry said:
Have your friend catch his own, snap the neck and gut. Might think twice.
I boycotted Joe's Italian after I saw they sell foie gras, a very cruel animal raising practice. Perhaps you'll read about that in Jonathan's book when you get around to it.
Rut roh...have I stumbled into one of those nasty mean-girl junior-high-school cliques? Snide, unsolicited remarks, ad hominem attacks, and "not-one-of-us" ?

I only wanted to know where to buy a turkey, I wasn't expecting Lord of the Flies!

Nancy Rosaler said:
Looks like an idiot, posts like an idiot and isn't even from Beacon, HMMMMMMMM. What do you think Henry?
I boycotted Joe's Italian after I saw they sell foie gras, a very cruel animal raising practice. Perhaps you'll read about that in Jonathan's book when you get around to it.
My husband and I saw Food Inc. and have been basically vegetarian (except for occassional range-free organic chic and turk) since we saw the movie three months ago AND Philomena was right, they are selling organic turkeys at Beacon Natural starting the 20th or so, I was there yesterday and saw the sign. Your friend should call them.

Good for you for seeing that! I hope there is a food revolution soon.
You have a right to do as you please. Enjoy your turkey - I am sure there are probably many places that kill humanely (even though I don't believe in killing anything to eat) - and forgive my earlier comment about "if you had to kill it yourself you might think twice". Obviously you don't have to and also, you surely are entitled to your own opinion.
Hal....you start a thread about the movie Food Inc. and then solicite advice as to where to buy a (humanely) slaughtered animal, then you berate Nancy for unsolicited remarks?

You've got to be kidding. You need to untwist your giblets.

Hal Jay Greene said:
Rut roh...have I stumbled into one of those nasty mean-girl junior-high-school cliques? Snide, unsolicited remarks, ad hominem attacks, and "not-one-of-us" ?

I only wanted to know where to buy a turkey, I wasn't expecting Lord of the Flies!

Nancy Rosaler said:
Looks like an idiot, posts like an idiot and isn't even from Beacon, HMMMMMMMM. What do you think Henry?
Wow, is my head spinning!

This comment will be off-topic, but I have to address this to Kelly, who I think organizes and administers this board.

Can you change the setting that allows people to edit their comments, or at least shorten it to a minute or two rather than the astronomical (in internet time, anyway) 15 minutes it is now? Or failing that, is there a setting that would prevent the comment from being posted UNTIL AFTER the editing period expires?

The way it seems to work now, you can post a comment immediately for everyone to see, but still edit it for 15 minutes.

That feature has allowed this discussion to become very non-linear, and not in a good way.

For instance, Nancy seems to have thought better about her juvenile aside, and edited it out of her original comment (her complete original comment is quoted in MY comment) and now Barbara Capalbo makes reference to her own earlier comment that no longer even exists!

It makes for some very surreal reading (unless you know how the board works) and as a basic journalistic principal is just all wrong. If people want to think twice about what they say the time to do it is BEFORE they hit "post."

barbara capalbo said:
You have a right to do as you please. Enjoy your turkey - I am sure there are probably many places that kill humanely (even though I don't believe in killing anything to eat) - and forgive my earlier comment about "if you had to kill it yourself you might think twice". Obviously you don't have to and also, you surely are entitled to your own opinion.
Really, Henry, the thread was NOT about the movie OR the book. I just wanted to know where to buy a turkey. It *is* Thanksgiving after all!

By the way, the unsolicited remark I was referring to was yours. Nancy's remark was way beneath that.

Henry said:
Hal....you start a thread about the movie Food Inc. and then solicite advice as to where to buy a (humanely) slaughtered animal, then you berate Nancy for unsolicited remarks?
You've got to be kidding. You need to untwist your giblets.
Hal Jay Greene said:

Nancy Rosaler said:

RSS

© 2020   Created by Kelly Kingman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service